Board Painter for rectangular Boards:
Board Painter is an online tool to edit Boards for Chess and Chess Variants.
In the following screenshot, you can see how it looks like.
The code of this tool is now open source, and you can get it on GitHub. Don’t forget to bring up our website and let others know about the improvements you made to our tool.
Board Painter is easy to use. It’s designed to show piece movements (Circle = can slide to the square, can capture when reaching the targeted square. Arrow means, can leap (or jump) to the square, capture when reaching the square.
Board Painter for Variants with special Boards:
There are other versions of our tool, related to some well known Chess variants:
- inspired by Omega Chess: Omega Chess Board painter
- Circular chess board painter
- Rich Van Deventer Thrones Chess Board Painter, the CirSquare Board.
- Cirsquare Board with suggestions from Dr HADDAD: Bermuda Squares and Algebraic Notation
Many settings are possible to change the board configuration and items colours:
- Zoom: display zoom of the board preview
- Board setup: Files x Rows
- Save: choose file name to save current settings on your computer
- Load: load settings from your computer
- Board image: file name of the board image to be saved (PNG file)
- Save: save image
- Clear: you can clear all, or just pieces, moves or arrows
- Current brush: displays the current brush. Change it by clicking on an item (move/piece/arrow). Brushes can be rotated, use the rotation links to turn to different directions: North (default), South, East and West.
- Board colour: choose the 2 colours of the board+ border (background and text)
- Moves: brush patterns for moves layer
- Arrows: brush pattern for arrows + colour options (fill and borders)
- Pieces: brush patterns for pieces. Links “all”, “white” and “blacks” are filters.
- Click on a square to replace pattern, or erase it if same as brush
- Shift+Click: fills a line with current pattern (horizontal, vertical or diagonal)
- Ctrl+Click: paints current pattern + same pattern at symetric position (for instance to place 2 knights at their start position with one single click)
- Use following shortcuts to rotate current brush : n = North, s = South, e = East, w = West
3D Board Painter for rectangular Boards:
Some pieces and Boards are in 3D and are Virtual Reality compatible with special gargles. Try it, it’s fun.