restart

jerome
Site Admin

restart

Post by jerome » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:08 pm

Hi everyone,

the site is going back on track. Games are being rebuild with Jocly open source library which allows to run without external online dependencies. It means we can run games even if Jocly main server is down.

Available games : And more to come, I'll update the list when new games are delivered.

You might have noticed some interruptions because of important maintenance interventions. Sorry for that.

The site should be fully secured now with https and valid certificates. Still checking. Looks like it's almost good. If you see problems, please give us feedback.

jerome

jerome
Site Admin

Re: restart

Post by jerome » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:41 am

added Chexx to the list

jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:38 pm

jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:22 am

added Also made Cerebral Chess and Seirawan Chess, but found bug in it. Working on it.

jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:12 pm

musketeerchess

Post by musketeerchess » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:53 pm

You are the best Jérôme

jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:21 am

H.G.Muller

Post by H.G.Muller » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:34 am

Oh, apart from Chexx I had all these in my local Jocly git repository already. Did you redo them from scratch?

Several of them use modified versions of base-model.js, rather than locating the required patches in their own model file, and redirecting the calls to the standard chessbase functions to those. Which in the new method of hosting was a bit inconvenient. Although once the library is made the model file in there for every chess game will contain its own (uglified) copy of base-model.js. So it was mainly a pre-compilation problem. I solved that by moving the deviating base-model.js files each to their own sub-folder of /src/games/chessbase.

I somehow got stuck in further development of Jocly because of the issue of opening books and repetition detection. The existing method for the latter is flawed, as the hash key is derived in a way that makes swapping the location of two pieces of identical type be considered an alteration of the position. In the already implemented variants this occurs so rarely that it wasn't much of a problem. But when I started to implement variants with piece drops, it turned out to be quite common, and especially in variants where repetitions can be losing (e.g. mini-Shogi, or perpetual checking in regular Shogi) it lead to annoying blunders.
The problem is that when I fix the hash key the opening books for normal Chess and Xiangqi (AFAIK the only variants that did have an opening book) no longer work works. As it is stored and accessed by hash key. I am not sure what to do about this. A very ugly work-around would be to keep using the old version of base-model.js (which calculates the key) for normal Chess and Xiangqi only, as if it was a private, modified version. And then update the main base-model.js to maintain a proper key, and have all other chess variants use that.

jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:40 pm

no I did not redo them from scratch, I used previous code and adapated it to include them in jocly library. Then I rebuild the Jocly lib with wanted games and put the "dist" directory on the site. Each game has his page using this Jocly lib. We will share the code as requested by the license.

Not sure to understand how you already had all these games :)

H.G.Muller

Post by H.G.Muller » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:19 am

Zied had e-mailed me a .rar archive of his 'games' directory about a year ago (must have been a link to it on some file-sharing host, as it was rather large). Although in the end it proved more convenient to just grab the files directly from the musketeer.net website, and I only used the archive to see what files I needed. The old embedding method through jocly.com required the plain source code to be on the server, after all. After having included the various source codes in the Jocly source tree, and having rebuilt the library from it, I mailed a link to a tar ball of the 'dist' tree (which is still hidden on my website) to Zied.