Omega Chess inventor

Free speech section, let's talk!
TomD

Omega Chess inventor

Post by TomD » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:18 pm

Does anyone have contact info for Daniel Macdonald, the inventor of Omega Chess?

musketeerchess

Re: Omega Chess inventor

Post by musketeerchess » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:59 pm

TomD wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:18 pm
Does anyone have contact info for Daniel Macdonald, the inventor of Omega Chess?
Hi
Omega Chess is unfortunately no longer available commercially. Try their website omegachess.com
I already left emails a few years ago and regularly without any answer.

It's a shame as i think that we can work again together for the revival of Omega Chess and Chess Variants.

Some of the Musketeer Pieces can be used to make your own set for Omega Chess; the NextGen Pawns can also be used for this purpose.
Remains the Board. There are 10x10 Boards that can be good enough for that. You have to either imagine the additional corner squares or craft them yourself.

TomD

Post by TomD » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:26 pm

Thank you.

The email contact apparently has been removed from the web site. I'm afraid the only sure way to contact Daniel Macdonald would be to get to Toronto (I could drive there in one day, but not with COVID-19 ongoing!) and drop into the Chess Pub there to see his friends.

I have an Omega Chess set. The problem is that the pieces are not sized or weighted for a tournament chess set nor for the Musketeer pieces. I was thinking of having the pieces scanned in 3D and then have a high quality 3D printer make enlarged copies. I wanted to get Mr. Macdonald's consent and, more importantly, get the computer files and a set of the tournament sized pieces to him as a gift.

I have always liked Omega Chess and would hope that it could be made available again in both pure form and as general variant chess pieces.

musketeerchess

Post by musketeerchess » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:40 am

I agree
Omega is fun.

If yiu reach him you can tell him i’m interested in a partnership.

Generally 3D work is not yet of good quality (but fine). If you see the different 50 pieces i will have available (right now 17 are already commercial and compatible for tournament play) you will certainly find good alternatives for a good omega chess set