Where to play Musketeer Chess online

Each player will play with the usual 16 chess pieces + 2 new pieces, the new pieces are identical for both players. The choice of the new pieces is an agreement: white chooses the first piece and then black chooses the second piece.
There are 10 musketeer pieces: Leopard, Hawk, Chancellor, Archbishop, Elephant, Unicorn, Cannon, Dragon, Fortress and Spider.
musketeerchess

Re: Where to play Musketeer Chess online

Post by musketeerchess » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:46 am

Hi
We will work on an app for sure, i think that Musketeer Chess will be on pychess server before that. so probably the mobile app will be the Pychess app.

The new pieces will hopefully be ready for end 2020 or beginning 2021. The current crisis has postponed many projects.

red-rodent

Post by red-rodent » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:53 am

musketeerchess wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:46 am
Hi
We will work on an app for sure, i think that Musketeer Chess will be on pychess server before that. so probably the mobile app will be the Pychess app.

The new pieces will hopefully be ready for end 2020 or beginning 2021. The current crisis has postponed many projects.
Hi Zied,

That's great news. I've introduced a couple of friends to Musketeer Chess and they love it. The game has come alive again after being being very stereotyped and predictable. It's such a shame that variants like this are very hard to promote and standardised fairy pieces don't make much headway in broader 'chess culture'. Friends all love the new Elephant in particular!

One minor quibble with sale of the NextGen Pawns has been that to get a set of pawns you have to buy a complete chess set from House of Staunton (don't need any more sets, have enough already!); are the NextGen pawns available from anywhere without having to buy an additional chess set, like the 10 Musketeer Chess pieces? This was a great idea for the original ten.

Hope the upcoming projects go well and aren't hit too hard by circumstances this year.

musketeerchess

Post by musketeerchess » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:12 am

Hi
My idea behind NextGen Pawns was to make an alternate design available for Pawns (and that could be used to play chess variants). That's why i made them available in a classic chess set. Trust me, the additional Chess set is free (the price doesn't cover the cost of development of the pieces).
So the idea behind NextGen pawns sets is: have a classic chess set and have nextgen pawns either as alternate pawns or as a new rule for pawns.

Chanching pawn rules is very very challenging and i think that the next generation pawns are a substitute design. But they are also very interesting variants to play.

red-rodent

Post by red-rodent » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:03 pm

musketeerchess wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:12 am
Hi
My idea behind NextGen Pawns was to make an alternate design available for Pawns (and that could be used to play chess variants). That's why i made them available in a classic chess set. Trust me, the additional Chess set is free (the price doesn't cover the cost of development of the pieces).
So the idea behind NextGen pawns sets is: have a classic chess set and have nextgen pawns either as alternate pawns or as a new rule for pawns.

Chanching pawn rules is very very challenging and i think that the next generation pawns are a substitute design. But they are also very interesting variants to play.
Ah that makes sense. I love the designs & rules of the Petropolis and Vienna sets in particular. When playing Xiangqi I swap out the classic pawns for the newer versions, as they have a slightly eastern look to them. The newer pawns also make Shogi playable with Western-style pieces.

musketeerchess

Post by musketeerchess » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:01 pm

red-rodent wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:03 pm
musketeerchess wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:12 am
Hi

Ah that makes sense. I love the designs & rules of the Petropolis and Vienna sets in particular. When playing Xiangqi I swap out the classic pawns for the newer versions, as they have a slightly eastern look to them. The newer pawns also make Shogi playable with Western-style pieces.
That's the "Musketeer Chess" Spirit.
You invent your own sets, rules etc.