Musketeer Chess Tournament

Each player will play with the usual 16 chess pieces + 2 new pieces, the new pieces are identical for both players. The choice of the new pieces is an agreement: white chooses the first piece and then black chooses the second piece.
There are 10 musketeer pieces: Leopard, Hawk, Chancellor, Archbishop, Elephant, Unicorn, Cannon, Dragon, Fortress and Spider.
musketeerchess

Musketeer Chess Tournament

Post by musketeerchess » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:07 pm

The best 8 players on Jocly joined to play a double round robin tournament to determine the Champion.

Another tournament will begin soon. Those who are interested please mail me to musketeerchess (a) gmail . com

sam

Re: Musketeer Chess Tournament

Post by sam » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:57 am

I would like to propose a new correspondence musketeer chess, could be 1 move per 3 days. Players are allowed to use the engine stockfish-musketeer. Who are interested?

musketeerchess

Post by musketeerchess » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:50 pm

sam wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:57 am
I would like to propose a new correspondence musketeer chess, could be 1 move per 3 days. Players are allowed to use the engine stockfish-musketeer. Who are interested?
Hi
I'm interested.

sam

Post by sam » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:55 am

A. Participants so far.

Code: Select all

1. MusketeerChess
2. Sam

B. Proposed tournament conditions

1. Double round-robin
2. Each player starts with white and black for every pair
3. 1 move / 3days

C. Rating
Games will be rated, players will get Musketeer Chess Correspondence Rating after the tournament.

D. Softwares
You can use winboard GUI to run Stockfish-musketeer see the Reference section below.

E. References:
Game rules
Winboard GUI
Last edited by sam on Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pavanada

Post by Pavanada » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:11 am

I am a beginner player, and I would be interested in being cannon fodder, but I don't understand the stockfish-musketeer link or what the benefit is. Isn't chess notation enough, and each player can used Board Painter to supplement the notation?

I have a friend who might be interested. We are currently on our second PBEM Musketeer game.

sam

Post by sam » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:06 am

It is an engine that you can use to assist on your analysis. Download it at https://github.com/ianfab/Musketeer-Stockfish/releases. Also download the winboard GUI from the References link and setup the engine as musketeer. You can use winboard gui to save your correspondence game, and analyze positions. For example after piece selection and gating preparation.

From the menu press Edit->copy game to clipboard.

This is its pgn.

[Event "?"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2021.02.03"]
[Round "-"]
[White "-"]
[Black "-"]
[Result "*"]
[Variant "musketeer"]
[VariantFamily "seirawan"]
[VariantMen "E:KDA;C:llNrrNDK;A:NB;F:B3DfNbN;M:NR;H:DHAG;S:B2DN;U:CN;D:QN;L:NB2;K:KisO2"]
[FEN "*c*l****/rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RNBQKBNR/**C**L** w KQkq - 0 1"]
[SetUp "1"]

{--------------
. c . l . . . .
r n b q k b n r
p p p p p p p p
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
P P P P P P P P
R N B Q K B N R
. . C . . L . .
white to play
--------------}
To analyze position assuming stockfish-musketeer is loaded, just press Mode->analysis mode. Make a move and press Edit->copy game to clipboard then paste it in notepad or other word processor and save it there. You can load that game later via copy and Edit->paste game from clipboard. Or auto save the game via Options->save game and setup where to save the games and press Option->save settings now. Or when you have positions on the board and want to save it, goto File-> save game.

Right please inform your friend about this correspondence tournament your friend might be interested. BTW what is PBEM?

Please confirm if you are interested to join, I will list you officially in the participants list.

musketeerchess

Post by musketeerchess » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:59 am

Hi @Pavanda
I’m glad you like Musketeer Chess. The use of the engine is for advanced games both using the computer help and your imagination. It’s a tool i use for statistics when designing games and i don’t really use it when i play Musketeer Chess but only for post mortem analysis and also to try a few ideas.

What i can recommand is to play your games without computer analysis and then analyse the game each 5-10 moves using the computer as this will for sure help finding new ideas.

The Musketeer Stockfish engine is far from being perfect and the analysis using it should always be to check positions and from time to time gives strong tactics.

Your game with your pal: you can share it here and we can analyse it together. Using the engine will be a part of that analysis

Pavanada

Post by Pavanada » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:38 am

So this is a computer assisted tournament? It doesn't sound like anything that I would be interested in.

PBEM is Play by Email, as opposed to PBM (Play by Mail). Because we both learned to play chess in the late 1960's we use English descriptive notation and Board Painter to facilitate movement notation. We are not really beginners, but not having played chess in 50 years we are a bit rusty.

My friend grew up in New York City and was active in intercollegiate chess. I taught myself how to play with a chess book from the library, and then bought and read books on chess theory and openings. We seem to be about evenly matched in Musketeer Chess.

sam

Post by sam » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:52 am

Pavanada wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:38 am
So this is a computer assisted tournament? It doesn't sound like anything that I would be interested in.

PBEM is Play by Email, as opposed to PBM (Play by Mail). Because we both learned to play chess in the late 1960's we use English descriptive notation and Board Painter to facilitate movement notation. We are not really beginners, but not having played chess in 50 years we are a bit rusty.
Yes this correspondence game is unlimited with regards to resources.

To save time with your PBEM creating images perhaps it is better to just use the Winboard GUI and send the updated pgn. Good luck with your games, I hope you post the pgn of your game after the game.

Pavanada

Post by Pavanada » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:06 am

Thanks for the Winboard GUI suggestion. I'll take a look at it. My friend doesn't know algebraic notation and resigned from our first game because of several misstated moves. English descriptive notation is working with him so far.

I'll convert our second game to PGN and post it. There are mistaken moves, but this is a friendly game. I make sure not to play during work hours any more, when I am under the gun. My only reason was to progress the game more quickly, but accuracy (and winning) is more important.