The new pieces are available

Each player will play with the usual 16 chess pieces + 2 new pieces, the new pieces are identical for both players. The choice of the new pieces is an agreement: white chooses the first piece and then black chooses the second piece.
There are 10 musketeer pieces: Leopard, Hawk, Chancellor, Archbishop, Elephant, Unicorn, Cannon, Dragon, Fortress and Spider.

red-rodent

Re: The new pieces are available

Post by red-rodent » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:19 pm

Just bought the complete set, but some pieces had broken. Nothing a little superglue couldn't fix though. The strange thing is it wasn't the ones I thought might break didn’t (i.e. mammoth's tusks) but the Bombard did! Both of my Gliders (axes on top) had snapped off. They are all fixed now these parts are fragile. Definitely not going to let the kids play with these just yet.

Pieces look amazing, the Lion and Aquila look fantastic. The second series seem to be a bit bigger on average. Thought I would hate the Camel but it looks great. Who did the designs for these Zied?
Last edited by red-rodent on Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musketeerchess

Post by musketeerchess » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:59 pm

Hi
I made the designs with my team. An artist helps with sketches and another helps with 3D models.

The pieces (figural like Bear Lion Rhino) are slightly bigger.
It was difficult to have moulds that reflect the details of these beautiful pieces and smaller.
Especially there was a need to have a basis of 42mm which explains also why they are bigger.

The Citadel is a unique design: basis is square and i find it among the nicest pieces.

The Aquila is also bigger than the Hawk: it’s stronger and have more carved details than the simplistic Hawk. The first version Hawk is a very balanced and beautiful piece also.

Now with Ivory Cream and Black colours and with the Hawk and Aquilla i will probably release Hawks Chess.

I’m also preparing for a Kickstarter to have the pieces available with the rainbow colours.

red-rodent

Post by red-rodent » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:47 pm

The Bear is a funny piece, I first thought it was a monkey/baboon at first, but I really like the claws! The increased size is a nice feature - the pieces are all solid and heavy, extremities really need care when transported. The Aquila is beautiful, like the Hawk only better, but I tend to think the Hawk is more balanced. The Citadel is nice, the square base helps distinguish it from the other “building” pieces, i.e. Fortress, Spider and Rook.

The new Dragon and the Mammoth are incredibly detailed and have also become fast favourites. The Dragon’s moveset looks overpowered but in practice it really isn’t, a friend of mine tried to corner my King with the Dragon, but he lost ultimately.

Do you mind if I post some pictures of the pieces Zied? Maybe a review of some of them?

musketeerchess

Post by musketeerchess » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:36 am

Hi
You are welcome to post any material.

Pionissimo

Post by Pionissimo » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:08 pm

Zied, would it be possible to know the heigh / base for all 10 new pieces?

musketeerchess

Post by musketeerchess » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:30 pm

Pionissimo wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:08 pm
Zied, would it be possible to know the heigh / base for all 10 new pieces?
Hi
Basis between 39 and 42 mm except for Camel Wizard and Glider with a smaller basis.

Height of the Emperor, a Royal and the tallest piece is around 104 mm like the recommanded ling height for my Atypical pieces. The other pieces are smaller.

Probably some pictures are better than words

red-rodent

Post by red-rodent » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:37 am

I intend to put some pictures up of all the new pieces with a ruler, give me a couple of days. There is a bit of size disparity (but it's actually quite good, who wants a tiny Lion?).

musketeerchess

Post by musketeerchess » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:52 am

red-rodent wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:37 am
I intend to put some pictures up of all the new pieces with a ruler, give me a couple of days. There is a bit of size disparity (but it's actually quite good, who wants a tiny Lion?).
Excellent

The rules that come
With the pieces are suggestions.

So anyone can use the pieces to fit his own needs.

I intend though to make a work where i will try to collect all known rules and names for pieces and make the name
Uniform for the same rules with a mention to the historic
Name.

This will probably make things easier.

Any picture will be appreciated